Sunday

A Suspended Animation ?

Now that I think of it, I have spent the last couple of years of my life in a sort of suspended animation, some kind of a make-believe, beautiful, intellectual world.

I have invented excuses for being transported into this other-world. I have more or less shunned the realization that a 'normal' life outside of my ideal world exists.

First it was chess. My obsession with the game although failed to see me grow into a better player, certainly made me scour its history and strategies and tactics and previous matches and players and their playing styles. During the 6 months of my wholehearted devotion towards the game, I read about half a dozen biographies notably those of Kasparov, Morphy (American player in the 1800s and considered to be the best ever), Capablanca (Cuban player famous for his aggresiveness). I read books about the various openings and attack styles employed in the game. I went through and replayed the moves of the famous games of the past. I ventured into an understanding of the way a machine plays the game differently than a human. In short, I must have 'wasted' almost 6 hours from my daily schedule for atleast 6 months straight.

Then it was poetry. As my interest began to grow in this utterly beautiful medium of human expression by my introduction to Ghalib's urdu poetry, I realized the silken genius with which the most eloquent minds spoke. After reading the works of Mir Taqi Mir, Ghalib, Afghani etc. I thought of giving Hindi poetry a try. I instantly became a fan of Harivanshrai Bachchan's prose and poetry and then went on to read many more brilliant writers like Dinkar, Neeraj, Mahadevi Verma, Gulzar etc. I started contributing to the hindi parts of wikipedia and also devoted a blog to writings especially in Hindi and Urdu. This passion has withstood the test of time and I am as engrossed in the field now as I ever was.

My latest craze is Audrey Hepburn, the beautiful actress and humanitarian who died in 1993! Without going into the details, I should just suffice to say that I have done little in the last 1 month apart from researching on her and watching her movies.

Is it wrong ? The way I tend ignore the real world ? I guess, to a rational eye, it is, but the fact remains that the real world is a drab place to live in. It lacks the melancholy beauty of poetry, the intellectual stimulation of chess and the intoxicating allure of those eyes. It does not appeal to the heart and for me, happiness does not lie in it. Nature is beautiful, physics is beautiful, artistic expression is beautiful but the daily chores of life are woefully insipid. They are just an inconvenience I have to live through.

9 comments:

Ankit said...

@Aabeirah: Itne dinon baad aapka comment padhke bahut khushi hui. aasha karta hoon ki sab kuch kushal mangal hoga...

aur zindagi mein fursat to ab bhee hai... khwaab bhee hain... agar yeh sab choti choti khushiyan na rahein to zindagi ka matlab hi kya hai :-)

None said...

@ankit: Kitna such hai...:) Haan...sab kushal mangal hai. Bas...thode din samajh mein nahin aa raha tha...kya comment chodein. Suna hai, aaj kal aap kisi Audrey Hepburn ke behkaave mein aa gaye hain? ;)

Ankit said...

@Aabeirah: agar behkaava aisa nasheela ho to bhala is behkaave se kisko aitraaz hoga :)

Anurup K.T said...

Zindagi ko sirf karm ki taraf jiya jaye toh mere khayaal se zindagi berang ho jati hain.
Is liye zindagi mein har shaqs ko ek junoon palna hi chahiyen.
Muje ek khubsurat ghazal yaad aa rahi hain..
Thukrao chahe pyaar karo...mein nashe hoon...

Ankit said...

@Anurup: bahut sahee cheez boli hai tumne... aur bahut sateek panktiyan... kuch panktiyan meri taraf se bhee le lo... Madhushala ki hain... shaayad fit baithti hain is situation pe :

लालायित अधरों से जिसने,
हाय नहीं चूमी हाला,
हर्शविकम्पित कर से जिसने,
हा, ना छुआ मधु का प्याला,
हाथ पकड़ लज्जित सकी का,
पास नहीं जिसने खींचा
व्यर्थ सुखा डाली जीवन की
उसने मधुमय मधुशाला

Anurup K.T said...

At the cost of repeating I would add another line..

Yeh bhog bhi ek tapasya hain tum tyag ke mare kya jano?
Apmaan rachaitha ka hoga, rachna ko agar tukraoge...

Sahir Ludhainvi ki composition hain.

Anonymous said...

Great post Ankit! I myself think, ke junoon palneki baat nahi hai :-) Junoon hamein paalte hai.. What a person finds fulfillment in, and why is too deep for verbal analysis. Its best we revel in happiness of people in such pursuit.. It is great to see you articulating your passions. Ishtiyaaq is awesome man !

Amit said...

Read this article
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-190583,curpg-1.cms

Ankit said...

@Ameet : Thanks for the comment... Your encouragement is most welcome...

About Me

My photo
Like a particularly notorious child's tantrums, a mountaneous river's intemperance, a volcano's reckless carelessness and the dreamy eyes of a caged bird, imagination tries to fly unfettered. Hesitant as she takes those first steps, she sculpts those ambitious yet half baked earthen pots.