Monday

The allure of not reading, among other things

At the cost of inviting incredulous gasps from my much learned friends, let me admit today that I have never read Godfather nor have I seen the movie ever. Infact, I have not read the book thrice and have actually not seen the movie atleast 4 times.

The first time I did not read the book, I was in my 11th class when my friend gave it to me and he just wouldn't stop praising Mario Puzo and almost forced my head into the preface. I was not really a fan of fictional thrillers back then (I am not even now but there was a phase) and my repertoire primarily consisted of the canon of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (4 times complete). Sitting in the back seat of those monotonous and frankly quite pointless science classes, I usually tried to while away the time sifting through the hallowed pages of the book. There was something about it that always made me stop at about the 20th page. The 2nd and 3rd time I did not read the book was when I had all the leisure in the world while I was in the 3rd year of my undergraduate course. I started with the best of intents and managed to reach the all time high figure of 43 but gave up there. While shifting through some old stationary, I happened to come across the old book which has stood against me like my own personal Holy Grail, my own Shangrila to discover. I turned the pages and all the forgotten memories came rushing back. I could see the scribbles of Physics equations up-till page 20 and the dog eared parchament up-till page 43. The paper had turned a bit yellow and the binding a bit loose. I looked at it, thought for a second, chuckled, closed and placed it from where I had picked it up.

This brings me to the point of this post. There is a wierd sense of achievement in not doing something. While happiness and satisfaction are the residues of monumental achievements, there is this queer sense of pleasure in not succumbing to a particular temptation, especially when that course of action has been largely followed and highly advised by the world. There is no dearth of mountain climbers or dancers or snowboarders. People have pushed the limits of x-games and life threatening activities. But here I am, snugly cosying in my warm blanket admiring them but never wanting to be them. We often do not admire the resolve of the non-snowboarder. We choose to overlook the sacrifice of the bloke who chose to spend his life testing banking softwares in a cubicle when he could much rather have become a shark catcher. It is not easy to not fall down to the temptation of living the life of motoGP racer but then who is going to listen to the wail of the customer who has been wrongly charged 122$ on his credit card ?

My case is similar. I could have read the book and seen the movie. I could have felt exhilarated at the panache with which Mr. Corleone plugged the lead in another skull or thrilled at the awesome command exhumed by Mr. Brando. I could have been a better person, more wiser in life, much more aware of life's possibilities, another book wiser, a film more experienced among other things but why ? Why should I ruin my perfectly clean slate ? I know the book and the movie are brilliant to say the least but I have my virginity (for lack of a better word) to defend. Its the same reason I do not drink. Earlier I had made myself believe that there has to be some higher/nobler reason as to why I do not drink but its a lie. I just never happened to drink and now I do not want to tarnish my perfect record by succumbing to 2 drops of temptation. There are so many people who drink and I have absolutely no problem with them but now I have become far too stubborn to join the ranks. Its a quirk of human nature which forces people to behave irrationally in this fashion and everyone has them. It can be annoying and frustrating at times but such idiosyncracies surely add differentiating tinges to an otherwise monochromatic facade of individual character.

P.S: Trying to play Moolight Sonata (Beethoven). You can listen to this beautiful composition here:
Moonlight Sonata

4 comments:

Anurup K.T said...

This reminds me of a sentence in Lady Susan by Jane Austen:
The promise of anticipation always exceeds the pleasure of possession....

Ankit said...

ah! the promise of anticipation... I got remembered of this Bachchan composition (doesn't really concern this a lot but I nevertheless wanted to share):

मधुर प्रतीक्षा ही जब इतनी प्रिये तुम आते तो क्या होता

मौन रात इस भांति कि जैसे कोई गत वीना पर बजकर
अभी अभी सोई खोई सी, सपनों में तारों पर सिर धर
और दिशाओं से प्रतिध्वनियां जाग्रत सुधियों सी आती हैं
कान तुम्हरी तान कहीं से यदि सुन पाते तो क्या होता

तुमने कर दी बात रात के सूने में तुम आने वाले
पर ऐसे ही वक्त प्राण मन, मेरे हो उठते मतवाले
सांसे घूम घूम फिर फिर से असमंजस में क्षण गिनती हैं
मिलने की घड़ियां तुम निश्चित यदि कर जाते तो क्या होता

मधुर प्रतीक्षा ही जब इतनी प्रिये तुम आते तो क्या होता

Anurup K.T said...

Really, How humbled we are when we read these thoughts of delicacy, its not that others cant write things equivalent beauty, its just that sometimes the sensitivity is lacking or sometimes language fails to express what the mind dreams.

Bahut sundar paktiyan!!

kowsik said...

There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
George Bernard Shaw

About Me

My photo
Like a particularly notorious child's tantrums, a mountaneous river's intemperance, a volcano's reckless carelessness and the dreamy eyes of a caged bird, imagination tries to fly unfettered. Hesitant as she takes those first steps, she sculpts those ambitious yet half baked earthen pots.