Thursday

Manos: The Greatest Movie Ever. EVER

If the title, "Manos" The hands of fate, does not strike cold fear into your heart then seriously dude, you need to see a doctor. This is one of those movies which comes once in a century, kicks incomprehensible amount of ass but no one notices because everyone is busy either crying buckets in KKKG (IAALYF) (for those who could not decode it: Kabhee khushi kabhee gham, Its all about loving your family, yo!) or racking their neurons on occult and ultimately futile endeavours like Mulholland Drive or going "Yo! America" in movies like Independence Day and God-bless-America-for-saving-the-world-again-for-everyone-else-is-supposedly-pusillanimous-enough-not-to-be-able-to-stand-on-their-own-feet.

The movie was written, produced, directed and starred (stop laughing) by American fertilizer salesman (I said stop!) Hal Warren as the result of a bet he made with his friends wherein he intended to make a successful horror movie on a shoestring budget. The movie was a complete failure at the box office but later scientific analysis of this phenomenon revealed that it happened because the theatre going public was still caught in the post-modernistic era and the frontal lobes of their brains were not developed enough to appreciate the genius of this great piece of art. Its like Vincent Van Gogh. He did not sell even a single painting all his life but look at the scene now, huh? Who is laughing his ass off now ? I would love to see the sullen faces of those who refused to buy his paintings then. Same is the case with Manos. 3 milleniums from now when homo sapiens will have developed enough to ragard story, coherence, dialogues, direction, acting, screenplay, edition and music as not so necessary elements for a good movie, this movie will kick some serious ass.

The movie starts with a 13 minute sequence where a camera just keeps on looking out from a moving car towards green fields and mountains. It was supposed to be the time when they had to roll the credits but basically those guys forgot this small detail so we just have a moving car for 13 minutes. Now don't think even for a second that this is a complete waste. Boy oh boy. Believe me, you will need to get settled for this movie. You will need each one of those 13 minutes to sink comfortably back in your chair because once the kickery starts, you will have your face rocked off forever. You will have to deal with one corny dialogue after another, one incoherent scene after another, one ham-act after another until you are left gasping for air, your hair all wet with perspiration, your voice barely making its way out of your parched mouth, your life begging for mercy. But mind you. No mercy shall be shown for Manos, the evil master, does not approve of mercy.

Man, I could go on and on and not be able to capture the glory of the movie in words. Lets just say that "Manos" The hands of fate is probably the most interesting event in the history of the universe after big bang i.e. if Big Bang ever happened. If not than "Manos" The hands of fate is THE greatest event ever. Here is a wikipedia article (written by some ignorant moron) about the movie. Don't believe even a single word. You have no idea how far off the mark, the article is :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Manos%22_The_Hands_of_Fate

6 comments:

Anurup K.T said...

Interesting..
I read the plot, although I admit I didn't hear of the film until you mentioned it. Reminds me of Blair Witch Project though.

You tastes seems to be evolving these days or is it a metamorphosis :) ? Either way quite unpredictable.

Ankit said...

Blair Witch Project!!!

Did you not detect an undercurrent of scathing sarcasm in the post!!! I have failed man. I have failed miserably :)

None said...

@ankit: Is the tone of this piece sarcastic or honest? Can't quite seem to figure. I haven't seen the movie. But somehow, if I do, I have a feeling, I'm going to be had by this blog and your tone!!! :)

Amit said...

I was kind of mad that you had put the wikipedia link in the very end as the undercurrent of sarcasm in your post was quite an undercurrent, it never reached the surface!

Anyway I wrote my own mahabharat last night. Feel free to write the most scathing comment you could. It would be highly appreciated!

Ankit said...

@Aabeirah: If you do want to see it please do not do it on my watch. I do not want to be a friend less. And I certainly do not want to be an enemy more :)...

@Amitesh: Wrote a very scathing comment. But I could have written so much more. I had matter enough to have a complete post as your comment. I will save all that for later. You know, when I am out of original ideas :)

Amit said...

ha! The comment was not scathing enough, it was merely mirroring what I wrote there. :-)

About Me

My photo
Like a particularly notorious child's tantrums, a mountaneous river's intemperance, a volcano's reckless carelessness and the dreamy eyes of a caged bird, imagination tries to fly unfettered. Hesitant as she takes those first steps, she sculpts those ambitious yet half baked earthen pots.